Emulsion Down/Emulsion Up

« Back to Glossary Index

Emulsion refers to the light-sensitive coating used to form reproductions of an image on papers, films, stencils, and printing plates. Emulsion up (EU) refers to film where the image is tipped toward the viewer; emulsion down (ED) is film that faces away from the viewer.